Health News Today on Fox News

Norovirus sickens over 200 cruise ship passengers on month-long voyage

More than 200 cruise ship passengers were infected with norovirus on a transatlantic voyage that is currently still at sea.

The illnesses occurred on the Cunard cruise line ship Queen Mary 2, which departed Southampton in the U.K. on March 8.

More than 200 cruise ship passengers were infected with norovirus on a transatlantic voyage that is currently still at sea.

The illnesses occurred on the Cunard cruise line ship Queen Mary 2, which departed Southampton in the U.K. on March 8.

The ship traveled to New York and to several islands in the Eastern Caribbean, according to Cunard’s website.

19 MILLION AMERICANS TO TAKE CRUISES IN 2025, AAA PROJECTS

Out of the total 2,538 passengers, 224 became ill with the virus. Seventeen crew members were also affected, as stated in an alert from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Diarrhea and vomiting were the primary symptoms reported. All sick passengers have been isolated, the announcement noted.

The ship is expected to return to Southampton on Sunday, April 6.

Cunard has increased its cleaning and disinfection procedures in response to the outbreak, according to the CDC.

CASES OF NOROVIRUS (STOMACH BUG) SKYROCKET IN US

The cruise line has also collected stool specimens from sick passengers for testing. 

"VSP (Vessel Sanitation Program) is remotely monitoring the situation, including review of the ship's outbreak response and sanitation procedures," the CDC stated.

Norovirus, also known as food poisoning or the stomach bug, is a highly contagious virus that causes inflammation of the stomach or intestines, per the CDC.

"Norovirus, also known as Norwalk-like virus, is a leading cause of gastroenteritis in the U.S.," Dr. Amber Charoen, a board-certified gastroenterologist with Gastro Health in Kennewick, Washington, previously told Fox News Digital.

"It can spread with as few as 10 particles through contaminated food, vomit, stool and even person-to-person contact."

The highly contagious virus can also spread via contaminated surfaces, utensils or foods.

"The combination of indoor spaces, close contact and crowding is why norovirus thrives in environments like schools, day cares and cruise ships," Chad D. Neilsen, MPH, director of Infection Prevention and Control at Nemours Children's Health in Florida, previously told Fox News Digital.

HAIR LOSS? GUT HEALTH ISSUES? DR. NICOLE SAPHIER REVEALS SMART FIXES

"Once an outbreak starts, it’s challenging to control it without public health and sanitation expertise."

While it is often referred to as a "stomach flu" or "stomach bug," norovirus is not related to influenza.

"Symptoms of norovirus vary, but those infected tend to have a mix of low-grade fever, chills, vomiting, headache, muscle aches and fatigue," Baum said. 

"In addition, norovirus outbreaks typically produce nausea (more often in children), watery diarrhea (more often in adults) and stomach cramps."

There is no specific medicine to treat norovirus, according to Baum. 

Nielsen previously shared with Fox News Digital that norovirus is the leading cause of foodborne illnesses in the U.S., causing about 20 million cases each year.

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR HEALTH NEWSLETTER

Norovirus is responsible for about 109,000 hospitalizations and 900 deaths each year in the U.S., mostly affecting adults over 65 years old, according to the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases (NFID).

About one in 15 Americans will get norovirus annually, and one out of 160 children will be hospitalized.

The best defense against norovirus is to wash hands frequently, identify symptoms early and isolate if sick, according to Dr. Marc Siegel, clinical professor of medicine at NYU Langone Health and Fox News senior medical analyst.

The CDC also recommends washing fruits and vegetables thoroughly and washing laundry in hot water, if possible.

"There is no treatment except to stay well-hydrated," he told Fox News Digital. "[It] generally lasts around three days."

Neilsen agreed that most people will recover from norovirus in one to three days without any treatment, but others could experience more severe symptoms like dehydration, which "could require medical attention."

For more Health articles, visit www.foxnews.com/health

The CDC recommends drinking plenty of liquids to prevent dehydration and to seek medical care if it becomes severe.

Fox News Digital reached out to Cunard requesting additional comment.

12 hours 14 min ago

Health, digestive-health, lifestyle, cruises, Travel, travel-safety

Health – Dominican Today

Jake Kheel emphasizes the need for ongoing sargassum monitoring

Santo Domingo.- Jake Kheel, president of the Environmental Protection Business Association (ECORED), emphasized the need for continuous monitoring and long-term planning to address the growing sargassum problem.

Santo Domingo.- Jake Kheel, president of the Environmental Protection Business Association (ECORED), emphasized the need for continuous monitoring and long-term planning to address the growing sargassum problem. Speaking at the “Challenges and Solutions for Sargassum” panel during Sustainable Expo 2025, he warned that inconsistent efforts could lead to worsening beach degradation and a lack of coordination among key stakeholders.

Kheel stressed that tackling sargassum requires a well-funded strategy and collaboration between public and private institutions. He noted that the tourism sector has been directly affected, with many industry professionals feeling “traumatized” by the recurring issue. Without a structured, year-round approach, he cautioned, the problem will persist and continue to harm coastal environments and economies.

Sustainable Expo 2025 serves as a vital platform for promoting green technologies and fostering cooperation between government and private enterprises. Kheel’s remarks reinforced the urgency of integrating environmental protection into broader economic and tourism strategies.

15 hours 11 min ago

Health, tourism

Health Archives - Barbados Today

Energy drink distributor slammed for ‘environmental neglect’



Environmentalist Kammie Holder has launched a scathing attack on the importer of a popular Jamaican energy drink, accusing the company of flouting environmental laws and neglecting its corporate social responsibility as discarded bottles increasingly litter the island.  

Holder, the chair of the Future Centre Trust, accused beverage distributors of prioritising profits over environmental responsibility, amid complaints that bottle returns were not being accepted.  

Speaking about the distributor of the drink in question, he disclosed: “We have reached out after getting concerns from the hikers in this country and the public at large to that importer, who has treated us with scant respect as it related to their corporate social responsibility.

“Within 48 hours, I shall be writing to the Ministry of Commerce, under which the Returnable Containers Act falls, and I shall be writing to that company to ask them where is their corporate social responsibility as it relates to that drink that they import from Jamaica,” Holder said on Wednesday.  

The Returnable Containers Act of 1986 establishes a mandatory deposit-and-refund system for empty beverage containers. In 2019, it was amended to expand the list of containers that should be accepted for return to include separate sealed glass, metal, aluminium, steel or plastic bottle, can, jar, carton or other receptacles which may consist of other materials that are recyclable or reusable and is capable of holding 3.8 litres or less. This amendment gives reusable items other than polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles and glass bottles value, as they can be redeemed for between five cents to 15 cents each.

Some of the representatives from the 11 charities seen here with the donations they received.

Holder further lambasted the distributor’s boastful claims of financial success despite failing to address the pollution caused by their product. He stated: “It’s totally unacceptable that you can brag about your millions that you are making yearly [but] you have no concern for the environment. My voice may be strong, but I have zero tolerance for ignorance when it comes to our environment.

“If I was the minister, those drinks would be banned from Barbados. If you are going to be so bold to speak of the millions you are making but continue to import a drink from Jamaica, and then your bottles are littering this country—my beautiful country—and then the importers are not taking the bottles back, to then brag about the millions you are making yearly? Unacceptable.”  

Holder also criticised the lax enforcement of littering laws, stating that despite the strengthening of environmental protection laws over the years, authorities have been slow to engage in strong enforcement measures.  

He said: “Over the last 15 years, I’ve participated in Clean Up Barbados, and persons have been caught littering and you know what happens? They get a slap on the wrist, which to me is an epic insult to those persons who every year go and participate in Clean Up Barbados. We are talking about thousands of persons every year cleaning up behind dirty persons, but yet when a person is caught, they are told to go and get it cleaned up.  

“Totally unacceptable, so until you have the police service, a ministry, an inspectorate taking it seriously, nothing will change in this country,” Holder declared.  

Paul Bynoe, managing director of B’s Recycling, echoed Holder’s concerns and revealed that attempts to engage with the drink’s distributor had been unsuccessful.  

Bynoe said: “I don’t understand his story with the agent. We try to get all the agents to make contact in order for them to receive them back or let us know what to do and it’s just not happening. I don’t know what to say to them or what to do in order for them to understand that they are breaking the law, and the lawmakers now got to step in and say ‘okay, this is right or this is wrong—as far as I see it.” 

Efforts by Barbados TODAY to reach the distributor for comment also proved unsuccessful.

(SB/SZB)

The post Energy drink distributor slammed for ‘environmental neglect’ appeared first on Barbados Today.

22 hours 17 min ago

Health, Local News

Health | NOW Grenada

ACB Grenada Bank donates to Autistic Foundation of Grenada

ACB Grenada Bank donated $3,000 to the Autistic Foundation of Grenada in commemoration of World Autistic Awareness Day on 2 April

View the full post ACB Grenada Bank donates to Autistic Foundation of Grenada on NOW Grenada.

ACB Grenada Bank donated $3,000 to the Autistic Foundation of Grenada in commemoration of World Autistic Awareness Day on 2 April

View the full post ACB Grenada Bank donates to Autistic Foundation of Grenada on NOW Grenada.

23 hours 24 min ago

Business, Community, Health, PRESS RELEASE, acb grenada bank, afg, autism, autistic foundation of grenada, johanna tamar, tammy martin, waad, world autistic awareness day

Health | NOW Grenada

Wear blue on World Autism Awareness Day 2 April

“By wearing blue and taking part in World Autism Awareness Day, we send a powerful message of acceptance and inclusion”

View the full post Wear blue on World Autism Awareness Day 2 April on NOW Grenada.

“By wearing blue and taking part in World Autism Awareness Day, we send a powerful message of acceptance and inclusion”

View the full post Wear blue on World Autism Awareness Day 2 April on NOW Grenada.

1 day 16 hours ago

Community, Education, Health, PRESS RELEASE, ASD, autism spectrum disorder, ministry of education, special and inclusive education unit, world autism awareness day

Health – Dominican Today

Urgent reform needed for Autism support in the Dominican Republic

Santo Domingo.- In the Dominican Republic, the conversation around autism should extend beyond April 2nd, as legislators and activists call for urgent reforms in education, healthcare, and therapy services for individuals with autism.

Santo Domingo.- In the Dominican Republic, the conversation around autism should extend beyond April 2nd, as legislators and activists call for urgent reforms in education, healthcare, and therapy services for individuals with autism. Representative Patricia Núñez stressed the need for more resources and urged reforms to the Disability Law and Social Security Law to ensure specialized therapy coverage. Yalis Soto, an educator, pointed out that the public education system lacks trained teachers and adequate materials for children with autism, leaving them with limited opportunities.

Additionally, Representative Anny Mambrú highlighted the importance of early diagnosis, noting that autism is often detected too late, delaying access to essential services. She emphasized the need for national investments in diagnostics, specialist training, and improved services, aligning with global statistics that show autism affects one in every 100 children. Overall, the article underscores the state’s responsibility to provide adequate support for individuals with autism throughout the year, not just on Autism Awareness Day.

1 day 19 hours ago

Health, autism, Autism Awareness Day, Disability Law

Health – Dominican Today

Health Minister signs nine agreements with NGOs

Santo Domingo.- Health Minister Víctor Atallah has signed nine agreements allocating 50.6 million pesos to Non-Profit Associations (ASFLs) to strengthen national health programs.

Santo Domingo.- Health Minister Víctor Atallah has signed nine agreements allocating 50.6 million pesos to Non-Profit Associations (ASFLs) to strengthen national health programs. These funds will support primary healthcare initiatives, including access to drinking water, physical rehabilitation, psychological care, and assistance for patients with HIV, tuberculosis, and organ transplants.

The agreements were signed with organizations such as the Homs Foundation for Human Solidarity, Archdiocesan Caritas, and the Association for Family Assistance. Minister Atallah emphasized that these partnerships are essential for advancing social development, ensuring rights, and fostering equity. Amalfi Brito, president of the Association for Family Assistance, urged all benefiting institutions to maintain transparency and efficiency in managing public resources.

This initiative aligns with Law No. 1-12 of the 2030 National Development Strategy, which seeks to replace traditional subsidies with structured resource transfers through management agreements, optimizing the allocation and impact of public funds.

1 day 20 hours ago

Health

Health – Dominican Today

Dominican Senate advances health tourism

Santo Domingo.- The Senate of the Republic has approved on first reading a bill aimed at promoting health tourism across the country. Proposed by Senator Daniel Rivera, the initiative seeks to establish and develop medical centers that cater to foreign visitors in need of specialized healthcare.

Santo Domingo.- The Senate of the Republic has approved on first reading a bill aimed at promoting health tourism across the country. Proposed by Senator Daniel Rivera, the initiative seeks to establish and develop medical centers that cater to foreign visitors in need of specialized healthcare. Article 11 of the bill designates health and wellness tourism as a national priority to position the country as a leading destination for medical services.

A resolution was also passed urging President Luis Abinader to implement a “Special Plan for Titling State Land in the Border Zone,” proposed by Senator Franklin Martín Romero Morillo, to prevent unauthorized foreign occupation of Dominican properties. Furthermore, Senator María Mercedes Ortiz Diloné’s initiative to recognize Dr. Richard Oliver Bidó Medina for his contributions to health sciences was approved.

1 day 21 hours ago

Health, Local

Health – Demerara Waves Online News- Guyana

Plans to integrate technical institutes’ engineering courses with UG programmes

-College of Medical Sciences Building officially opened; Medical School regains accreditation President Irfaan Ali on Tuesday announced that technical institutes across the country would be integrated with the University of Guyana (UG) to allow for the transfer of credits in engineering courses to the publicly-funded tertiary institution. As part of the administration’s plans to elevate ...

2 days 12 hours ago

Education, Health, News, Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and Other Health Professions (CAAM-HP), College of Medical Sciences Building, dental clinic, engineering courses, integration, technical institutes, transfer of credits, University of Guyana (UG)

Health Archives - Barbados Today

A stroke survivor speaks again with the help of an experimental brain-computer implant

Scientists have developed a device that can translate thoughts about speech into spoken words in real time.

Scientists have developed a device that can translate thoughts about speech into spoken words in real time.

Although it’s still experimental, they hope the brain-computer interface could someday help give voice to those unable to speak.

A new study described testing the device on a 47-year-old woman with quadriplegia who couldn’t speak for 18 years after a stroke. Doctors implanted it in her brain during surgery as part of a clinical trial.

It “converts her intent to speak into fluent sentences,” said Gopala Anumanchipalli, a co-author of the study published Monday in the journal Nature Neuroscience.

Other brain-computer interfaces, or BCIs, for speech typically have a slight delay between thoughts of sentences and computerized verbalization. Such delays can disrupt the natural flow of conversation, potentially leading to miscommunication and frustration, researchers said.

This is “a pretty big advance in our field,” said Jonathan Brumberg of the Speech and Applied Neuroscience Lab at the University of Kansas, who was not part of the study.

A team in California recorded the woman’s brain activity using electrodes while she spoke sentences silently in her brain. The scientists used a synthesizer they built using her voice before her injury to create a speech sound that she would have spoken. They trained an AI model that translates neural activity into units of sound.

It works similarly to existing systems used to transcribe meetings or phone calls in real time, said Anumanchipalli, of the University of California, Berkeley.

The implant itself sits on the speech center of the brain so that it’s listening in, and those signals are translated to pieces of speech that make up sentences. It’s a “streaming approach,” Anumanchipalli said, with each 80-millisecond chunk of speech – about half a syllable – sent into a recorder.

“It’s not waiting for a sentence to finish,” Anumanchipalli said. “It’s processing it on the fly.”

Decoding speech that quickly has the potential to keep up with the fast pace of natural speech, said Brumberg. The use of voice samples, he added, “would be a significant advance in the naturalness of speech.”

Though the work was partially funded by the National Institutes of Health, Anumanchipalli said it wasn’t affected by recent NIH research cuts. More research is needed before the technology is ready for wide use, but with “sustained investments,” it could be available to patients within a decade, he said.

SOURCE: AP

The post A stroke survivor speaks again with the help of an experimental brain-computer implant appeared first on Barbados Today.

3 days 15 hours ago

Health, United States, World

Pages